Sunday, December 23, 2012

My Year of many 1st - 2012


As 2012 draws to a close, I realize that this has been an exciting year for my family in Kampar. For a start, I could think of many 1st that happened over the last 12 months:-

  • 1.     Our first time participating in an international school marketing fair;
  • 2.     My first time singing our school song, which was composed by our 1st English teacher;
  • 3.     My first school camp, in which I was put in charged of games. I have never been a game master before and if you have known me, games would be the last (ok, maybe not last but penultimate) thing I would do;
  • 4.     My first time helping to start a school (more on this later);
  • 5.     My first time shopping for the school library;
  • 6.     My first time praying with key people at the school;
  • 7.     First time showing parents around the school;
  • 8.     First time watching our school concert, which was prepared in less than 2 weeks and most of the kids were from non English speaking families;
  • 9.     First time joining a cell group in Kampar, where some of the members came from our KL cell group!
  • 10. For the first time in my life, I am able to send our children to an international school. If I had been in KL, I would not be able to afford their fees or keep up with the lifestyle expected of them there!  
  • 11. I felt that I am making a difference in children lives here by getting involved in the school.
  • 12. Having been a boarder myself, I am hesitant about offering boarding at the school. However, God has brought a retired children and youth minister to head the boarding facilities. For the first time, I might just change my mind about boarding!
  • 13. First time putting aside my accounting logic and trusting God to do the balance sheet. To date, He has brought more students than I have projected!
  • 14. Seeing teachers coming from different countries and various parts of Malaysia. While talking to them, I realised that God was instrumental in calling them to be here! Otherwise, how would you explain that a New Yorker travelled half round the globe to be setting foot in Kampar?! And another from UK came via a contact during our roadshow. Yet another was called to early retirement so that he could be in Kampar. A key personnel moved here because her husband is an Aston Villa fan and there is a place in Kampar known as Aston Settlement – that was the determinant factor for moving?! Such stories go on.

I am sure that I am not alone in experiencing God’s blessing in my life. In fact, if we spend time reflecting, the list will be endless. Even sheer breath itself is a miracle that is worth rejoicing over. Oh Lord, please help me to be grateful at all times, especially during the times when I can’t experience your hands at work because I know that you will never cease to work for our GOOD.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It has been such a interesting if NOT busy and "scary" year for you if I may say. Perhaps, on second thought, NOT scary-lah, but must be challenging, I suppose. Well, you made it through, haven't you. God bless.

    Anthony Chia, high.expressions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah finally get to read about how things are with you and your family. Happy for you and glad that your faith is growing as God reveals more of himself to you daily. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...