Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Different Perspective

It has been sometime that I had wanted to serve in Vacation Bible School (“VBS”) but dealing with children has never been my strength. Therefore, I have let the opportunity slipped on numerous occasions until now. During VBS’s promotion to recruit helpers this year, not only did my children spend a long time in front of the booth, they also gobbled up countless number of sausages served. In between her bites, Clarissa asked if I was going to help out. I could feel my cheeks turning red when I saw how much she has eaten but the crunch came when a thought surfaced “Surely if I could deal with Joseph, I could deal with any child?” That was when Sue passed me a form, and without another thought, I signed my name. Almost immediately, I felt a butterfly fluttering within. Finally, I am taking the plunge, out of my comfort zone.

When the first VBS training session took place, I was both relieved and happy to learn that I have been assigned to assist Wee Lee, someone whom I knew for more than 10 years but never quite had the chance to catch up until now. While we were making small chats about our children, Wee Lee asked if Joseph was in the nursery class for Sunday School. “Oh, Joseph Wong is an independent child. He would sit down and do his work quietly until he finished; while his peers would be distracted or playing with one another.” Co-incidentally, Wee Lee is also Joseph’s Sunday School teacher! My heart was filled with awe for God when I heard this. First, I was truly amazed that God has brought me to VBS so that I could catch-up with an old friend. Second, God was speaking through Wee Lee, telling me that “Hey, I am not done with Joseph. I am still at work in his life. Can’t you see it? Well, you should by now, as even his teacher could see it! I have heard your prayers for Joseph and I am doing something about it.”

I was fighting back my tears when I heard that my Joe is very well-behaved in Sunday School. And to show me a different perspective, God nudged me to sign up for VBS via Clarissa and placed me with Wee Lee. I would say that this is definitely a divine appointment, won’t you?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Fee! First of all I like your blog name.. ha ha "Feeisfree".. Ain't it really so wonderful that God brings comfort and His message is so many unexpected ways...may I copy and paste your post into the VBS09 blog so that others may be encouraged as well.. see how even a small little comment can carry the message of God. And yes, we should really catch up after all these years! Take care and God bless, Lee Henn (Wee Lee's other mad half)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi lee henn
    I feel honoured that you wanted to share this post. of course, you can copy and post it to as many places as you want!
    Fee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise de Lord! I am so encouraged by your step of faith out of your comfort zone. That is indeed a calling and a divine appointment! I agree! Amen!

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...