Monday, April 5, 2010

A Child’s Fear

Clarissa has a fear that she knows that she has to deal with. Despite her seemingly calm demeanor on stage, she suffers from immense stage fright, one which I could totally identify with. Therefore, despite being the only English speaking person in her class, she will decline firmly whenever the opportunity of English public speaking is presented to her.

Her teachers were at a lost. I am at a lost. Two days ago, she announced to Ray & I that she had again declined the offer presented by her teacher. "My classmates told me that I could do it, but I know that I can't!" she said. "You know, you are the only person who thinks that you can't do it. Even your classmates, teachers and your family think you can!" I tried to explain the root of her fear to her. "In fact, Satan wants you to think that you can't do it. He wants you to think that you can't do anything!" as I recalled the daily devotions that I have been doing with her for the past few days carried the common theme of how Satan implant lies in us to make us feel defeated.

She looked troubled and sad. The bondage of fear was slowly taking root in her life. As I too suffer from inexplicable phobia myself, I know that mere words alone could not convince her; only God's words could deliver her. Today, I had to use Ray's car to fetch the kids from the music class as mine was in the workshop. Driving a different car, gave rise to different songs and different perspective.

Later in the night, Clarissa came to give me a hug. "Mum, I have some good news for you, should I tell you?" She said teasingly. "Of course you must tell me!" I said "Well, on the way back from my music class today, I heard the song that said "God Will Make A Way Where There Seem to be No Way". Then, I lifted my eyes and saw in the sky, untold peace. At that very instant, I could feel that God was telling me that everything is well and I Need Not Fear!" she related her experience happily away. "Most of all, I feel that I am prepared to take up the challenge to stand on stage!" Not only am I immensely proud and relief for her as a parent, I am also greatly humbled and grateful that God has chosen to deal with Clarissa's fear like a loving father.

I feel helpless many a time when confronted with the weaknesses or fear of my children, for I don't have the power to change them; However, I take great comfort in knowing that Our Heavenly Father not only has the ability but the sensitivity to handle a child's worst fear. Thank you God for showing me that I can always turn to you whenever I feel inadequate as a parent.

4 comments:

  1. You know Fee, your sharing is soooo strange because I was just speaking with a youth of mine about fear as well and how in 1 Tim, it says we are not given a spirit of fear/timidity but of power, love and of sound mind/self-control/discipline (depending on the version one reads). And I have to attest that fear is really a spirit that attacks us and if we don't know that the Holy Spirit within us has given us power = authority to say to the fear - You have no power over me, I reject this fear in Jesus name - we will always be in bondage to satan's ploys. But not only that the Holy Spirit has given us the ability to love and also have a clear and sound mind to know how to love the unlovable (cause by our strength sure tak boleh one) and help us with clear thinking and peace to know his will. Your sharing encourages me to seek out what "fears" my youth are facing and to reveal to them through scripture their position in Christ and how they are worthy to receive God's blessings and provision. I think this is something we need to share with the young ones to help them realise who our God is and what he has done to set us free from all fear. Thanks for your sharing Fee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fee for this sharing. It confirms to me how I could help Nic with his fears as well. You r right about satan's ploy. i think if we let them know this they will somehow be able to swim out with God's guidance. Amazing how God worked through a song! I still wait to see how God will transfor, Nic. I know He will because He is our Abba Father. Amazingly too I shared along the same line today in my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is so real and so good. When we cant, He can....He always can...we just need to trust and obey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi all
    i fail to mention above that i was really touched that God chose to minister to Clare's fear so soon; while i continue to struggle with my own stage fright! i guess in some ways, fear helps us to rely on God, knowing that only in Him, are we complete! :)

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...