Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Burden or a Transformation for the child?

Recently, I received a vision from God. It didn't come as a dream, or an image perceived during prayer. It came in the form of a movie known as "The Blind Side". For a long time, I have been struggling with the local education system. Despite being burden with loads of homework, Clarissa is still unable to catch up with her school work and had to go for additional tutorial sessions. The worst part is: I fail to see the upside in the overemphasis in academic performance at the expense of her childhood. Whatever happened to holistic education involving the development of character-building, problem solving skills and creativity in art? Where I came from (a kiasu nation down south), homework is necessary to achieve results and understanding; it is not meant to burden the students, and definitely not the parents!

The movie "The Blind Side" confirmed to me that education should bring transformation to a person, not just on his academic aspects but in all aspects. Such was the conviction that I had when I was younger until Clarissa started her Primary One. Suddenly, a new set of values were introduced: students should be grind, punished, pushed, burdened and rewarded just to achieve academic excellence!

Prior to watching this movie, my boss (who also happened to be my dad) suggested that we should start an international school in Kampar. Being an accountant, most of my business decisions were made based on business cashflows. In this case, I felt that such a school would not fare well here in a small town and therefore, had secretly prayed that his interest would soon fizzle out. Little did I know that God was actually using my dad to speak to me and since I didn't get it, He threw in the movie as well.

I was sobbing towards the end of the movie, happy for the child who was rescued from the ghetto but sad for the many Malaysians who struggled with our education system. Out of the blue, a thought came to me "that is what an international school is for, to bring transformation to My children!" "But Lord, Kampar is such a tiny town. Who would want to take up this challenge to work in Kampar? Who in their right mind would send their children to Kampar?" My business logic started to kick in. For the next few days, I was sleepless as I felt that this is Mission Impossible! However, over time, I felt that God is sovereign and He will bring to pass what He has intended. Now, I am really excited to see how this school will unfold. Do pray alongside with me, that May His Will Be Done!

 

7 comments:

  1. Hey Fee, sounds like another challenge is to start a church in Kampar. I wonder if a FBC Kampar branch is possible? Hmmm. As for the international school idea, I think there are some church members who actually have started their own private schools so you might want to ask Cheng Chung from church office for details. You might not need to start from scratch actually but just negotiate a branch of a private school. Macam franchise :-) Then I think you'll need to think of having a montessori kindergarten and before you know it, Kampar will be like Cambridge or is that Oxford (the uni town??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi king wai
    this comes as a surprise starting a church...in fact, my brother is talking about a FGA branch!!!. since you are involved in youth ministry, maybe you might consider uprooting yourself and come to kampar!!??!
    yes, i have heard abt the people who started the international school. in fact, both pastor philips and sook yen helped me by arranging a school visit. And the wonderful news is, we may have found ourselves a Headmistress and her assistant! PTL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo Wheee! So that's what's happened and am really excited for you and will watch you and pray alongside you for God's will be done! Who knows God may use your family to historically change Kampar town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know leh Fee. Kampar and I might not fit each other but then again you and Ray are doing well so one never knows. As for youth ministry, I don't know how long I'll be with it as I feel I may need to help with the young adults ministry next year. And good to know you might have a headmistress and assistant soon. Gosh, looks like your school will be a reality soon. Now must have church so the spiritual aspect is also taken care off instead of just the mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi lizzy,
    thanks for your prayers! they would be the best help that you could give me!:))
    Hi Kingwai,
    i know everyone has their own calling. well, do let me know when God has called you to kampar, yah!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....Fee Fee Fee.....you are moving and grooving, jiving along to God's rhythm....good on you! Hope I didnt sound too negative when you called me the other day. Glad you have found a headmistress and assistant...fantastika....

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi sue
    don't worry...in fact, i kinda forgot what you mentioned! yarks! age catching up! i do appreciate feedback, both +ve & -ve, cos this way, i am counting my cost accurately! :)

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...