Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Picking My Fight


Over the past few months, I noticed that I have had numerous fights with Clarissa and all of them revolved around her studies! The list under this category seems to be endless, such as she would watch TV while doing her homework, or she would be day dreaming during my tutoring session with her, or she would get agitated if I corrected her too many times!

This morning when we reached school, I realized that she had forgotten to revise for her Chinese spelling (or "listen and write"), containing 20 characters! I could almost hear myself sighing at her before I consciously decided to let this one go. This is the challenge: I have to pick the right fight. In the midst of my agitation, disappointment and even anger, I have to allow my mind to rule over my heart. Children will always make mistakes; but as parents, I have to choose when I should step in or just walk away. This morning, I walked away.

I guessed it did actually take more strength to walk away than to stay on and insist that she should revise for her spelling. By choosing to walk away, I am allowing her to make mistakes and learn from them. Most of all, I am learning to let go and allow God to work in her more. Meantime, I pray that I would have wisdom to pick the right fight.

2 comments:

  1. I gotta agree with you here Fee that some times you've gotta let your child fall and pick herself up and learn from her mistakes. God is like that I find. He lets you go your own way; realise how stupid your decisions are and when you come back rather sheepishly and ask for forgiveness for being such a dumbo, he bombards you with so much love that it is so foreign emotionally you wonder if it's too good to be true! But God is good and patient and as long as we seek his leading he will help us through all our trials be it children or work or relationships, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your insight. i must always remind myself that i am not superior over my girl. before God, both of us are standing on even ground.

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...