Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Temptation

I have a soft spot for handbags, and in particular, Coach handbags. I love the feel of its leather and the smell emitted is not overly pungent, just perfect for my liking. Coach’s design is subtle, soft and practical.

Whenever I walk pass a Coach shop, my legs would turn jelly when I see their newest collection. If there is any billboard that would make me turn my head twice, it would have to be Coach. My admiration for Coach bags started back in my university years. Once, I stepped into Selfridges of London and fell in love with these bags instantly:- The themed display, subtle designs, high quality leather, coupled with the image projected (successful yet down to earth) had won me over, permanently.

I am not trying to advertise for Coach as I believe that each of us has our own idols. Ray goes goo gaa over cars, especially luxurious sports car. With such love in our lives, it is difficult to keep our focus in God, sometimes.

“I don’t want you to forget, dear brothers and sisters, about our ancestors in the wilderness long ago. All of them were guided by a cloud that moved ahead of them, and all of them walked through the sea on dry ground. In the cloud and in the sea, all of them were baptized as followers of Moses. All of them ate the same spiritual food, and all of them drank the same spiritual water. For they drank from the spiritual rock that traveled with them, and that rock was Christ. Yet God was not pleased with most of them, and their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.

These things happened as a warning to us, so that we would not crave evil things as they did, or worship idols as some of them did. As the Scriptures say, “The people celebrated with feasting and drinking, and they indulged in pagan revelry.” And we must not engage in sexual immorality as some of them did, causing 23,000 of them to die in one day.

Nor should we put Christ to the test, as some of them did and then died from snakebites. And don’t grumble as some of them did, and then were destroyed by the angel of death. These things happened to them as examples for us. They were written down to warn us who live at the end of the age.

If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall. The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.”1 Corinthians 10

When God delivered the Israelites out of Egypt, it was nothing short of miracles after miracles. Food was provided, literally from the sky, as the people had to keep moving in order to reach their Promised Land; Water was supplied as and when required; Pillar of cloud appeared during the day to guide their ways so that they will not be lost; Pillar of fire appeared at night for their protection; Parted the Red Sea when the people reached the edge of the water, pursued by the Egyptians. Yet, the people were not satisfied with God! They were swayed by other loves in their lives, which on my hindsight is insignificant compared to God himself!

Despite my love for material stuff, I must be careful not to lose sight of God, His commandments and promises. Its one thing to enjoy His creation and providence; but quite another to make an idol out of them! Indeed, may I be constantly reminded by Israelties, so that I will not fall like they did.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderfully put Fee. Glad you can see through the devil's sneaky way of getting us to focus on things rather then what we have in Jesus ie EVERYTHING. Hope you're all geared up for VBS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha ... good confession ... and i lurve shoes... pls don't buy coach bags from KL, they are so not worth it as they are vastly overpriced and cost a fraction of that in the US...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fee, so amazing, we're both on deuteronomy. I was amazed that after a few days on deut to chap 11 i think, the preacher last sunday spoke from Deut as well. God's constantly speaking to us and I echo your summary to always follow Him and not to lose sight of Him. I almost did again last week. But am recharged today with renewal of mind. Am so grateful. Thanks for your sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. KW - yes, by God's grace, I am ready for VBS;
    Patsy - so i heard! my last Coach is from US...now i am "dying" for someone to bring back another bag for me! :P (dog panting with tougue hanging out!)
    Liz - thanks be to God! may we continue to spur one another on in this great big adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...