Monday, November 16, 2009

The Purpose of A Plastic Jellyfish

As it turned out, just 3 days before Joe was due to perform in his school’s concert, he was diagnosed with hand, foot and mouth disease! I was indifferent as to whether he performed but I was glad to know that he had managed to recite his speech without any hiccups. I guessed it was God’s will that he missed the concert and for me to be engaged in something else…

During the period that Joseph was sick, he couldn’t eat, drink nor talk! I took half day leave for that week so as to ensure he was drinking enough at home. A mother’s stern voice is more effective than a maid’s continuous nagging. At the same time, I found my hands engaged in making crafts for the up and coming vacation bible school at our church. First, I was exploring the different ways that jellyfish could be made and much to my dismay, there are so many if not too many options available in the internet. In the end, I opted for a fusion method and it turned out to be a disaster as Ray aptly put “What is that? It looks horrible!” Lesson learnt: Never asks a man for an opinion on an “art object”, unless you are prepared for the worst!

After re-doing the jellyfish and gaining marginal acceptance from my partner, I proceeded to prepare 16 pieces of the jellyfish. Nearing the end, I started to ask myself “What is the point of making these jellyfish when they will be discarded after VBS? I should really spend more time preparing for the lessons” (as I had volunteered myself to be an assistant teacher for the kindy class)

God knew that I would doubt myself and my craft; in the day preceding, I was blessed with the following verses from the bible:

“For just as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body – though many – are one body. If the foot says, “Since I am not a hand, I am not part of the body,” It does not lose its membership in the body because of that. And if the ear says “Since I am not an eye, I am not part of the body,” it does not lose its membership in the body because of that…But as a matter of fact, God has placed each of the members in the body just as he decided” 

Although I may not see it, I am created for a purpose; just as the jellyfish is created to be displayed for only 5 days! As long as we shine for God, the duration of our lifespan didn’t matter, its the intensity that counts. Being a part of the VBS team, I may have some nominal jellyfish but when these are combined with the fish, boomerangs and other crafts, we will have an Australian-themed room for the children! God is present in the room, ministering to the children and the teachers. May this VBS brings forth shower of blessings to all who attend!

3 comments:

  1. When I see the jellyfish, I will remember that they were made with loving hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi patsy
    apart from the jellyfish, everything that is put up for VBS is done with loving hands! do enjoy the magnificient view, esp those in the main santuary. expect the unexpected! :)
    fee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fee dear, I can just say a BIG BIG Amen to what you said. This is why VBS is so unique and special...every single one who plays a part, big or small, is important. I am really looking forward to the VBS week. Be prepared for a week that will drain you and yet energize you in a way you have never felt before. Take a peek at the blog : fbcvbs09.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...