Thursday, January 14, 2010

Fans & lights (only)

Clarissa was excited that her school term has started again. This year, her teacher will be electing new class monitors and captains (the role of the latter is to collect homework books from each row before handing over to the respective teachers).

I could tell that she was looking forward to playing a role in her class. “Would you like to be a class monitor?” I asked tactfully. “No, because being a class monitor, I have to take part in speeches and singing competitions!” came her firm reply. After the 3rd day, she came to me if her usual choice of good news vs bad news.

“The bad news is that my teacher hasn’t selected me to be the class captain” she started off. “But, the good news is, I am now the lights and fans officer of my class!” Despite being in a cafĂ©, I broke out in laughter. At the back of my mind, I thought the teacher was being polite and didn’t want to disappoint Clarissa and her enthusiasm. “How are you going to reach for the fan speed adjusters? You are not tall enough for those.” I said holding back my tears from laughing too hard. “Well, I have an assistant to help me with that.” She replied matter-of-factly.

At that point in time, I felt a gentle voice nudging (ok, I didn’t expect this especially when I thought this to be a very funny role). Flashes of bible verses about those who were entrusted with little, will be entrusted with much came to my mind. I realized that God had assigned this role for Clarissa and was pleased that she was taking it seriously (except for the mother who didn’t get it until now).

I was reminded to encourage Clarissa in taking up responsibility, whether big or small and to do it to the best of her ability.

Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much (Luke 16:10)

3 comments:

  1. Wow Fee! Such a powerful testimony and sharing. It is the small things that make a big difference and I'm learning about that too in this journey we call "life". I think this world and the devil really knows how to make people think that "big is best" or being larger then life is what makes someone respected or even adored. But you are so right that we must not fix our eyes on the things around us but to be faithful in what we are given to do. Your sharing is a nice reminder of that and it is wonderful to know you're sensitive to the Holy Spirit. But to be honest, this is the first time I have heard of anyone given the job of Fan & Light Officer! Teachers nowadays seem to be very creative don't you think? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi kwong,
    i have never thot of this being a powerful testimony except on the humourous aspect. this is also the 1st time that i heard of fans & lights too. thank you for your feedback.
    fee

    ReplyDelete
  3. The simplest one's are usually the most powerful :-)

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...