Monday, March 15, 2010

Nightly Routine


A few months back, I had the privilege of staying with my brother and his family for a night. He has four kids, aged between 4 and 12. One thing that his house didn't lack was noise! But come nighttime, I saw Fen Yee reading the bible with his children, the youngest on his lap. There was an untold peace in the place. I was inspired.

For years, I had intended to read the bible with my own children but other priorities crept in such as reading with them their favourite story books or books that could cultivate their interests in reading, and even playing Monopoly with them before bedtime (as mummy did not have time throughout the day until night time)! And if fatigue took over, I would permit them to watch their favourite programme; while in my heart, I would be telling God "I had a long day. I will try again tomorrow." But sadly, when tomorrow came, I would again be carried away with what I thought to be an more important exercise before bed time – reading books other than the Bible!

I mean, let's face it, even adults struggle with reading the Word! Kids would have found the messages dull and moreover, all the interesting stories would have been told in Sunday school, no? The night that I spent with Fen Yee and his family was the turning point for me as I could see that my nephews and niece were among the most obedient kids that I have encountered! Now, I know the secret within their family!

Since then, I tried harder to do daily devotions with my children. There were times that I failed but on the times that I succeeded, I could truly witness the transformations that were slowly taking place in my children. They were more obedient and willing to listen to reasoning. More importantly, I realized that they have started to care for others, to feel empathy for the less privileged. Once, Clarissa actually told me that there was this boy in her class that did not receive any birthday present from his parents as they were working overseas and he had hardly seen them; the next thing I knew, she was trying to get me to bring her to the nearest toy shop to buy a present for him!

The Bible is our spiritual food. Our kids need to hear the Word so that they can grow spiritually and cultivate a strong moral standard. More importantly, they need to know about their Heavenly Father and develop a relationship with Him. Let us not starve our kids but feed them with the Word, even if this means that the Bible would be the only book that they get to read for the day.

But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. (Psalm 1:2-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...