Monday, March 1, 2010

Do It to Prove It


Despite her otherwise demure disposition, Clarissa has a tendency to "over-react" on issues which to me are not very significant. One such example came up during our recent trip to Meixian. From past observations, I know that she has a tendency to procrastinate in going to the washroom until it becomes immediately imperative. As I didn't want to see a frantic mother running around a foreign land asking for the nearest toilets, I asked her to go the washroom before we leave our hotel for sightseeing.

"No, I don't want!" she replied firmly. While Joseph followed his cousins into the washrooms, I gave a short lecture. "You know, it is no big deal to just go to the washroom. In fact, when you are travelling, you should try going to the washroom whenever there is an opportunity." I began my explanation. "Why?" she asked. "Well, when you travel in a group, you need to be adaptable. This means that you eat whatever that is being served to you including food that you don't like. Similarly, if you don't go to the washroom now but decide to go later, you would end up making the rest of the people here wait for you."

"So, you are saying that I must to it to prove it?" she replied with a twinkle in her eyes. "What do you mean?" I was confused by her reply. "To prove that I am adaptable, I must do what you say." She replied. "Why, yes! You are right!" As I saw her running to the washroom, I was chewing on these simple words. To prove that she is an obedient child, she must do what I say to prove it. Similarly, we could say that we are Christians and attend church every Sunday; but ultimately, we must obey God to prove that we are Christians! While trying to teach her a lesson, I was taught by her in return!

5 comments:

  1. cool! To be doers of God's word. And in return she is blessed with a nice clean hotel toilet. :) Praise the Lord! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. precisely what was in my mind...nice clean hotels but much to my relief, there are many nice clean public toilets in china too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your stories Fee :) You are an excellent story teller :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fee...see what Elaine said...STORYTELLER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi elaine,
    well, i wouldnt be able to tell any story without inspiration from my children.

    hi sue,
    i think maybe i make a better story writer than teller. the later has yet to be "proven". writing is easy, no faces to react to, story teller has to be spontaneous and take on the crowd :S. so, you are doing great as one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...