Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Calling Abrahams


As I peered into the window, hoping to catch a view of what lied inside, I was moved not by the spider-web covered furniture, but more so by God's calling for this family to move to their "Promised Land". This room was my dad's study room when he was a child. He was born and bred in Meixian, China, a small town about 500km away from Guangzhou. The primary economic activity here used to be farming and planting crops. All was well until communism set in more than fifty years ago. Suddenly, landowners became overnight prisoners and criminals. The comfortable life they had was plunged into desperation and poverty.

During this period, God was watching and calling. He called my grandfather to leave China with my dad. Despite knowing that they may not come back alive, they took the risk and took a boat, heading south, to Malaysia, a foreign land with unkown tongue. Their promised land appeared to be Kampar, a land surrounded by hills and waters, very similar to the Hew village. Against all odds, they decided to build their homes here, away from their loved ones and comfort zone. They had worked hard to adapt to this country and establish their careers here.

It was then that I realized that God had a great plan for my family. If my grandfather and my dad had stayed on in China, we would not have the opportunity to know God; in fact, if it were not for our forefathers, all of us, Chinese Christians would have lost out on the most valuable inheritance ever, becoming children of God. Although my grandfather and my dad had no idea of the great plans that God had in stored, they were instrumental in being part of His plan. I marveled at how awesome God is! Truly, He knew us even before we were born! Praise the Lord!

Let us join our hearts in praying for China, that as much as we were the given the opportunity to know Him, may the people of China come to experience His salvation and His love.

"Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be" (Psalm 139: 16)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...