Thursday, February 4, 2010

A New Home

Since moving back to Kampar, all four of us have been sharing a room by default. Therefore, our bedroom is also the kids' playroom, tv room, entertainment room and occasionally dining room! However, in a few months' time, both Ray and I are looking forward to moving to a new house, where there will be more rooms and space to be shared among us.

To prepare the children for the big move, I have been telling them the advantages of sleeping in their respective rooms such as having enough shelves to put their toys and they would no longer have to fight over “who gets to put their toy on mummy's dressing table!”. Joseph was especially concerned about moving. “What about my toys? If I didn't bring all my toys over, kakak would end up selling them to the recycling man!” he exclaimed. Then, he turned and fixed his eyes on the Chinese New Year lights hanging at our car porch. “What about those lights?! I liked them very much and the new house would not have such lovely lights as these.” To conclude, he loves his “old” house more than his “new” house and suggests that we should continue to stay here!

I was both amused and surprised by his response. For a five year old, Joseph has given much thoughts about physically moving to a new house! “If only he knew how wonderful the new house would be” I thought aloud. “If only he knew that whatever he had in this present room was nothing compared to his new room!” Yet, he had grown to love his bed on the floor, adore his toys placed in plastic bags and draw on uneven carpeted floor!

We are no different from our kids. As we grow older, we learn to love the way of life on earth but forget that God has prepared a place for us in heaven. We fear death more than anything, as this means that we would have left all that we had behind, including our loved ones, our achievements and our possessions. But as Christians, we are immensely blessed as Jesus Himself had promised, that He was going away to prepare a room for us, thus offering hope and a new lease of life. Death is not the end but a new beginning with God and with all those who love them.     

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me so that you also may be where I am.” (John 14:1-3)

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful sharing Fee. Such a wonderful illustration about storing our treasures in heaven and not on earth. I too have been reminded through your sharing that everything we have on this earth is temporal and one should not get attached to things here. But easier said then done isn't it? I think the key to letting go and letting God take control is the realisation and probably a spiritual revelation that what we see is not eternal, but what Jesus has given us is. If only more of us know about this wonderful gift God has given us then maybe we wouldn't be so hung up when things don't go the way we wish. Remember yah to keep all your blogs so once you reach 100 entries, time to print a book! I help be editor can?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi kwong
    thank you for your generous offer. actually, i do save a copy just in case my blog *crash* on the web. when the day comes for me to publish, i would need seek out yr advice! :)

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...