Monday, June 7, 2010

Hope for the Hopeless


Over the weekend, my soul was warmly refreshed by a conversation I shared with my cousin, El. El is the same age as me and was brought up as a Catholic. Despite our different upbringing, we got on well as kids and now that both of us are married with children, we could still chat like old friends.

We were on the challenging topic of educating our children when she confessed "I didn't have a personal relationship with God until recently. I would like Nicholas (her 7 year old son) to go to a Chinese primary school but up till two days before the new semester was due to start, I still didn't receive any acceptance letter from the school (located in the heavily populated suberb Puchong). To make matter worst, when Nicholas asked me which school he was going, I couldn't answer him. In fact, I was close to tears when I heard his question. There and then, I told him that we would pray and ask God to show us. And the very next day, we received the letter of acceptance from the school!" I was so touched that our Heavenly Father has been working in her life. "From then onwards, I could really see that Nicholas has developed faith in God" she added.

As the conversation continued, I realized that there was so much that I didn't know about her. "My husband was a staunched Christians many years ago but now things have changed. During the birth of both my children, he went to see a traditional feng shui master to obtain "good fortune" names for the children. When he came back, El was informed that her children are not the studious type and are mostly to fail in their education. Therefore, El was advised not to place too much hope in them! I could imagine the shock and disappointment El faced back then. Afterall, both of us in our younger days, despite being in different schools, were competitive as far as study was concerned. To top it all, El's mother was a secondary school teacher in one of Ipoh's most well known schools. And to think that our childrens' future could be determined by a stranger and worst, accepted by the husband!

"I am all out to prove him (the feng shui master) wrong!" she said emotionally. My own emotions were in turmoil as I listened to her struggles: I could hardly contain my own anger. The only thing that was holding me back was that I realized that God is playing a big part in her life, giving her strength and answering her prayers! In fact, her discovery of God reminded me that I should not take my relationship with God for granted. He is REAL and ACTIVE.

"Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" Romans 10:13

2 comments:

  1. Hi Fee! Happened to drop by your blog and read this post. Your friend El's case reminded me so much of my own. When I told my parents that I wanted to become a Christian at the age of 14, they promptly took me to the Chinese medium of some underworld god to make me the "god-son" and all kinds of rituals.. it was a very scary time for me and especially when I do not attend any church at that time. One of the prediction of the so called medium is that my twin brother (who is not a Christian) will go on to University while I will languish behind. I said, OK, let's see! Today, I am so glad that I went through that because our God is real and is the Creator of all. The situation ended being in the reverse where I managed to make it to University and overseas some more! Ha ha! God is the most powerful God! So please tell El to commit her kids to God and He will see them through in His plan and will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi lee hen
    that's is so wonderful of you to share! God is indeed Mighty! i am so encouraged by your testimony! will definitely relate your testimony to El. By the way, she has agreed to let her son to attend VBS this year at our church! PTL!

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...