Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Which of You Forgot to Pray?

Every year, the month of May brings forth many challenges (hence my silence and limited blogging). This is the time when we are busy with new students checking-in. My previous experience tells me one thing: expect the unexpected! Everyone, students and parents alike, has different views on one single issue – choosing the right room. And if they are not satisfied with their choice of rooms, they would come up with many reasons as to why the room is not suitable. As the management company, we could only stand firm and explain to them our position. On a good, prayer-filled day, students or parents tend to accept our reasoning with little resistance.

Today, I forgot to pray. Well, after one week of hassle-free check-in (close to 1,300 students and families were served), I didn't anticipate any further problems and had taken it for granted that the week had been a breeze! I had forgotten that it was God who heard my prayer every morning and He had been at work, in people's hearts. This time last year, our whole team was under mountainous pressure, due not only to the sheer volume of work but also the emotional stress imposed by our tenants. We were working flat out and our faces carried only one expression – burnt out! I could still recall candidly that one of our senior staff's advice prior to the peak period " It is time to put on our armour, as we are preparing for warfare!" At that point in time, it did not occur to me that I could have called on the Lord of Hosts to fight alongside with us. This year I remembered until today.

As I went to the office and expected things to be running smoothly, one of my colleagues said "Well, I think one of us had forgotten to pray today! Its only 11am and I have had 4 major complaints!" I turned my head towards her and before I could say anything, she asked "Did you forget to pray to your God?" "Actually, this morning, I was in a hurry and I had forgotten to pray!" I confessed.

Immediately, I felt ashamed for taking lightly the power of prayer! Indeed, as Christians, we have the most powerful weapon in our hands –prayer! Time and again, the Lord has shown me that He is interested in all aspects of my life, including my secular work and parenting! Dear God, forgive me for being complacent in my prayer life as I realized that much trouble could have been avoided, if only I had spent time praying, rather than "doing".

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." (Matthew 7:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...