Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Blessing in Disguise

As VBS drew nearer, I noticed that the committee members, teachers and helpers were falling sick, one after another. On the other hand, I have managed to escape from the devil’s radar thus far, which was worth rejoicing for.

On the Saturday before VBS, I had a tummy upset, followed by diarrhea the next morning. In fact, I felt both weak and feverish. “So much for my presumption!” I said to myself. After calling Ray to pray for me, I rang Wee Lee, the leader of our VBS class. To my dismay, Wee Lee shared that she too had been unwell: she had heart palpitations the night before and had to go to the hospital to stabilize her heart beat. Then I realized that we were indeed engaged in a spiritual battle, one that is very real and powerful.

Sunday night, one day before VBS was due to commence, we went to a “back-lane” restaurant off Jalan Raja Laut. Apparently, this place was famed for its steamed fish head and oysters omelette. As I was still recovering from my tummy bug, I refrained from taking the oysters; if not, I would have treated myself to two big bites!

Come Monday, I had fully recovered and was glad to learn that Wee Lee was well too. God is good, healing us just in time for the big week. However, I was informed that my brother-in-law had severe food poisoning resulting from the oysters the night before. In fact, he was kept up throughout the night with vomiting that was stopped only after a visit to the hospital. Then I realized how God had used the “minor tummy bug” as a blessing for me. If it were not for the mild diarrhea, I would be lying on my back on Monday.

How am I to see that my present illness is meant to protect me from a more severe one? Only God is able to see that. Thank you God for protecting me, showing me that Your are more powerful than any of the devil’s schemes and most of all, turning a supposedly “bug” into a blessing!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful sharing Fee. This really brings to mind the verse "all things work for good for those who are in Christ Jesus", and your minor tummy upset as you say kept you from getting a worse one later on. Indeed we don't know why God allows weird circumstances in our midst until after the fact and hence we are reminded to walk by faith and not by sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and thanks for being a blessing to nic too. i am sure the seed was planted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have learnt alot during VBS, esp on how to handle children. nic taught me a great deal in this aspect. :) kisses to him!

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...