Thursday, December 10, 2009

Judas Iscariot

I have always had difficulty in understanding why Jesus had recruited Judas Iscariot to be one of His disciples, especially when He had FULL knowledge that Judas would betray Him. I truly wonder how it was like to live with someone whom you knew would betray you.

Sometime ago, I had the privilege to catch a glimpse of such emotions of betrayal when someone I trusted did something that was detrimental to the company.

When I found out, I was amazed at the string of emotions that flew through. My heart which was once filled with respect for this person was then replaced with disappointment, resentment and to a certain extent, hatred. I couldn’t understand myself in this respect as afterall, he was just a colleague.

At that point in time, I was gently reminded by the Holy Spirit of what Jesus had been through. He was with Judas 24/7 and yet he had chosen to show love to him, hoping that he would choose the right path in the end. Showing love under such circumstances involved taking risks. I wondered what Jesus would have done if He were here now.

I need to abandon my ideal that people around me would behave as I had expected them to. In fact, I have to constantly remind myself not to impose my own ideals on them but to allow God to work in them. There is no guarantee that this “Judas” would turn over a new leaf, but I know that God is in full control of his life and there is nothing “Judas” could do that is “out of God’s radar”. I take comfort in this thought immensely as I know that Jesus understands exactly how I feel.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. (2 Corinthians 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...