Thursday, August 13, 2009

Big Miracle for a Little Girl

I didn't expect to be in the pedic clinic. Clarissa, my seven year old who is hardly sick, was having a high fever of 38.5 + throughout the night. While waiting for our turn, I sms my to KL friends to pray for C. Finally, our turn came. The doc was shocked to find that her temperature had hit 40! Immediately, the doc was ramaging her drawer in search of a mask (by the way, no one was wearing mask except us) and finally dug out an old worn out one. The nurse took a step back while the doc continued to examine C and mumbled under her breadth. Although I find this scene of lack of preparation amusing, I was quickly distracted by what the doctor had to say next. "Clarissa has high fever; She look very lethargic and obviously obsese (!)-she is under the high risk category of being infected with h1n1! Has she been eating or drinking?" "Er..no, she hardly ate and drank!" My waiting time lasted for 1.5hrs but my consultation time took less than 10 mins. With a list of the obvious signs issued by MOH, Clarissa was prescribed with Tamiflu and if her situation didn't improve by tomorrow, she would need admission.

I was going to ask what I needed to bring for admission tomorrow cos, honestly, if anyone could have seen Clarissa, she would not be better tomorrow. She could hardly walk! My mum actually thought that we would be admitted today and was standing by at home to pack for us. Casting worries aside, I need to get myself align with God again. All these "realities" actually distracted me from seeking help from the Only One that can truly help!

While my thumbs were busy smsing, my heart was heavy with prayer. Clarissa was pretty shaken with the prospect of needles and pins in the hospital; so I told her to pray ferverntly and dirnk plenty.

After collecting about 5 types of medication and feeding her the "stronger" neurofen & tamiful, we drove home. I was quite puzzled as to why the doc gave me so many types when she told me it was only fever and cold she had.

Once home, I had to quarantine Clarissa in a separate room and took check of her temperature. Throughtout this period, my prayer warriors from KL sms me while I was on my knees to pray. After about 5 hrs, Clarissa's temperature was still houvering round 38++. "So much for this strong neurofen" I thought to myself.

Then at 4.00pm, something happened. Clarissa's temperature started to drop gently from 38++ to 38. By 6.00pm, she was 37++! I was caught off surpised completely. I mean, I did pray but my heart felt that maybe God wanted me to climb this mountain. With 2 kids, I am quite accustomed to climbing mountains, taking the LONG way to recovery. This is what medicine and doctors are for! And, in my mind, I am more used to bible verses like "take joy in your trials", "God's strength is sufficient for me" rather than versers like "if you have faith like the mustard seed, you could tell the mountain to MOVE IT".

Clarissa started to be able to smile and told me that she has been praying too cos she really didn't like to stay in hospital. But, neither of us expect her to be fully heal by 6pm! Her fever didn't come back that day and her cold seem to have subsided too.

Next day, we had to go to the clinic again. This time, the nurse had a N95 mask. She asked if Clarissa had fever and when I said no, her reply was "but she was at 40 yesterday!" "I know, its amazing!" came my reply. When it was our turn, the doc too was well prepared for us, wearing a brand new N95 mask. When the doc checked that Clarissa's temperature had come down to 37, she was very surprised. More surprises came when she said that Clarissa's chest had cleared of phlegm (which in her haste, forgot to inform me ....oh, that's why i was given the phlegm medication) and cold subsided too.

I told her that it must be God who had healed Clarissa and she just gave a smile. But, when I came out of the clinic, I knew that God was challenging my faith at that point! There are times that we need to climb that mountain but there are times, we need the faith to tell the mountain to move aside. and I need to seek God and abide in Him to be able to tell the difference!

On the way home, Clarissa asked "Mummy, do you know what is the best medicine in the world, the one that heals all illnesses, big & small?" "What is it?" "Its Prayer!". Amen.

Expect the Unexpected! May I always be reminded that God is our heavenly Father, He loves us and loves to surprise us with His gifts!

4 comments:

  1. I am really really overjoyed for you and I am so glad you climbed that mountain. Then, we find it's not even a big mountain, He is our helper and just wants us to turn to Him. And to Clarissa - Amen! Amen! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dearie....I actually posted a comment a few days ago but I think my internet was acting up, so tak jadi! Thank God for God's protection and awesome healing on Clarissa. We continue to look to God, the perfecter of our faith, the purifier of our hearts as He hold our hands and walked with us on our journey of faith. Am so glad that we can share this together...bunny express, free fee, and sweet and sour Sue ( check out my blog : sweetsourtales.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fee :)

    I just found out about your blog from Liz's blog and just read this today. I had goose bumps while reading it! Our God is an amazing God! Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear sisters
    thank you for standing by me throughout this tough time. and hi to elaine! thanks for your comment!
    love
    Fee

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...