Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Recurring Dilemma

I have been avoiding this topic for a long time, like for twenty over years; not only do I try not to speak about it in church, or with friends, I do not speak about it to God! Why? Because, I don’t know what the answer is and fear what the answer maybe! (A-ha! Another fear to my pile!)

I am really moved when Liz wrote about “it” in her blog as this is an issue that has been recurring, like a cock floating on the still lake, in and out of the water. I feel that its time to bring it to God.

Just the other day when I was still being quarantined, I talked to Ray about God’s healing. Ray said “I believe that when we are sick, we should take the necessary medication and of course, pray!” “So, would you anticipate healing?” I probed further. “Hmmm, its my responsibility to pray and take medication!” Finally, he blurted out “The issue is we can pray as hard as we like, but would God choose to heal?!” BINGO! This is the issue that I am struggling with for a long time. The “why” and “why not”! Having been brought up as a conservative Christian, I have been accustomed to taking medications first, and if this doesn’t work, turn to God in prayer. In doing so, at least I have tried everything I could?

There is a passage that I have been dwelling in for the past month. When Jesus was performing healing on the people, there was this one particular incident recorded in Matthew 8:-

When Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion (a non-Israelite) came to him, asking for help. “Lord, my servant lies at home paralysed and in terrible suffering” Jesus said to him “I will go and heal him.” The centurion replied, “I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go’, and he goes; and that one ‘Come’ and he comes. And I say to the servant ‘Do this’ and he does it. When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, “I tell you the truth, I have not found any one in Israel with such great faith” Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! It will be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed that very hour.

This passage carries great significance! Up to that point in time, Jesus has been meeting the sick face to face before pronouncing that they are healed. That was why, He suggested going to the centurion’s house. But, having read the above, you & I know that Jesus need not be present physically to heal the invalid! In fact, His presence was merely to assure the sick that He is there to heal! The centurion’s faith is amazing! Being a non-Israelite, he probably didn’t meet Jesus face to face before this incident. His information about Jesus was probably 2nd hand if not 3rd! Without proper “theological training” or first hand experience, he is able to discern that Jesus has authority over sicknesses and more, He is God! No wonder it didn’t matter to him that Jesus is not with the servant! Instead, he asked Jesus to just SAY THE WORD! The centurion knows that God is omnipotent & omnipresent without even attending church! God healed his servant because He saw through his faith! In my heart, I could feel myself saying, “God knew this man, even before he came to ask for healing! This man’s faith was built solely on simple information passed onto him from others!”

Therefore, God knows what is in our heart when we pray for healing, whether we have total faith in Him or we are in doubt. If we fall into the latter category, then we are in trouble! James made it clear in the scriptures: “But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt…and to him who doubts, he should not think that he will receive anything from the Lord” Although James was talking about asking God for wisdom but on the latter part of the sentences, he warned about doubt leading to not receiving anything (not just wisdom)!

Well, I felt that my recurring dilemma has been settled then! I must pray with all my heart believing that God will answer with my best interest in mind. I must not doubt His ability to heal! He is the same God yesterday, today and tomorrow. I must always remember to turn to God first with my sickness rather than as a last resort!

Therefore, if someone tells you…"I hope for the best but prepare for the worst!" You know that this person is in dilemma! Its time to turn to the centurion!

“Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those earnestly seek him.” Hebrews 11:6

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Fee for your sharing. God is so amazing - he just wants us to turn to Him , acknowledge Him on He will extend His grce to us and all the promises in the bible are there for us to claim (logos). There should be no more doubts, My mind is clear and I stand firm now. Thanks again for your encouragement. You have a genuine conversion, like Peter! Love you, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi liz
    You have been like a tower of strength to me; Your growth in the Lord has inspired to spur on with my walk with the Lord, even when there are many dry patches at times (hence, i love ezekie).
    In total admiration of you and what God is doing in your life,
    Fee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thought I'd drop a note to say that it is indeed wonderful that you are growing in the knowledge and revelation of the Lord. This can only be done through the Holy Spirit and in obeying the promptings. It's actually quite easy but we humans try to make it so complicated so that when we achieve something, it will seem like we've done what we could to get the prize. But the fact of the matter is, all that needs doing, has been done on the cross and now it is for us to rest in God's promises and to flow with his will. It's so stressless and fun! Looking forward to reading more about your journey. Take care now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi kwong
    thanks for your comment! you are right to say that Christ has done everything for us on the cross....its just that our little minds are filled with our own foolishness and I need to ask God to move it away bit by bit! :)
    taking one step at a time,
    Fee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello dahlink, wow...I want to say this is amazing...but actually why should I be like so amazed? I shouldn't be amazed like I don't expect God to do this miracle of healing in your life. I thank you God for healing my sister fee, and most importantly for teaching us what an awesome, real and powerful Abba we have. Please forgive us for putting you in our little box. From now on, let us have eyes and heart and ears to experience what a mighty God you are. AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi wise sue
    you are so right; i was amazed myself too; my god was too small 1 month ago; cant believe all these years I had been living in a lie!
    love
    fee

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...