Friday, August 28, 2009

Fishing Trips

Since moving back to Kampar, the kids & I have taken on a new hobby – fishing! On our very first trip, we went to a nearby lake to try our luck. As soon as we got out of the car, we overheard a seasoned angler saying the fishes weren’t interested in food that day. He was there for the entire afternoon and he had only managed to catch 2 puny fishes. Though deterred but unwilling to disappoint the kids, we decided to throw in our share of baits. Within 2 minutes, Clarissa said that she had caught something! Being a typical skeptic, I said “It’s the wind that is pulling your nylon string!” “No mummy, help me!” she shouted! And to my greatest amazement, she had in fact managed to catch a fish twice the size of my palms! We put up a struggle and finally managed to retrieve our prize! There were many envious onlookers nearby, stood amazed at a little girl who managed to break their record of the day within minutes!

On another occasion, we went with a team of seasoned anglers at a farm in Bidor. This time, we were aiming to catch Red Tilapia, Black Tilapia and Ikan Harun. These anglers came prepared, with professional fishing rods and baits (being cricket and small toads!). There were a total of 6 kids and 8 adults. Guessed who caught more fish? It’s the kids! Clarissa and her cousins were so immune to fish biting their baits (comprise solely of worms), that they had lost count of how many fishes they had caught that day; As her proud mummy, I know that they had caught more than twenty! The “prepared & experienced” adults were put to shame as they were still struggling with their first catch! In fact, one of them, Chang, told the rest “Please don’t tell my colleagues that I have lost out to a bunch of kids!”

That day, I felt that God had taught me an important lesson: It didn’t matter if we were Fortune 500 CEOs or pastors, rich or poor, old or young, monks or missionaries: We stand the same in His eyes – We are His beloved children. Regardless of our status, wealth, deeds, achievements, knowledge, background, race, religions, strengths or weaknesses, He loved us still the same. In fact, He would pursue us when we walk astray and bring us back to Him. As we were fishing that day, I know that all of us were standing on equal ground: The fish didn’t know how to choose a more experienced angler; Its only decision was whether to take the bait before its eyes.

Jesus said in the scriptures: “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep”. God didn’t evaluate who we were, or who we are or we are to be, He choose to Love Us.

Therefore, it’s a great comfort to know that we can come to God as we are, not as we wish to be, and definitely not as we have worked ourselves to be.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Fee,

    Okay...you have managed to make me cry again! am having a stressful day with new maid and tonnes of other things..so thank you for reminding me what's important in life. Learning to follow the shepherd, sit at His feet and worship Him. Thank you, thank you....eh, you didnt answer me about helping in children devotion le? You game or not? God keep reminding me to ask you wor....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi wise sue
    i am actually really terrified of the stage; plus i cant speak well, and creativity has never been my strength.
    in fact, signing up for VBS is my first step out of comfort zone. i could help do research in the background for a start...but alone with all the kids! yurks! sure u r hearing god right??
    love
    fee

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi wise sue,
    sorry, my previous reply was clouded by my fear of standing in front of the children that I have missed out on your comment! Actually, when I wrote this blog, I thought that I was over "spiritualising" stuff as it was difficult to relate fishing to salvation! but PTL, that this blog spoke to you as it has to me! :)
    love
    fee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well my dear....I never knew I can speak in front of so many kids until I did it for the first time, honest! You have the gift to teach, to take a bible story, and translate it into something applicable. That is the more difficult part of children devotion than the actual deliverance of the message. And you don't have to do exactly like me...each one has the own style...OK, won't put any pressure on you. I just want you to pray about this...if you feel comfortable to take a baby step, and try it out with me one day...you are more than welcome. Okiedokie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes yes i agree with Sue. I didn't realise it until she said it. You do have that gift. I commented it in the other article u wrote. I like how u bring us back to God's word but really u r telling us a story (real life) and applying God's word. That's really a gift esp if kids enjoy and understand it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi ever encouraging and wise sisters,
    I have missed out on your comments until now! You know, actually i didn't really realise my gift until both of you mention.
    Liz was the one who encourage me to write a blog, so I did more to reach out to others and to remind myself of God's glory. I never thought of it as a gift. writing is easy, i don't have an immediate audience..but I will think about what you both have said.
    only discovering myself lately,
    Fee

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...