Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Clarissa's Little Miracle

One of the greatest gifts that God has given me is to watch Clarissa growing in faith. Being in Chinese school has its challenges, the tops being the heavy workload and the strict discipline, sometimes might I say, unreasonable punishment. For example, when Clarissa first started school, she told me that on average she would get disciplined twice weekly. She has hardly complained about such discipline, in fact, she seldom brought it up unless I probe. More usually than not, such discipline was given to the whole class for disobedience. Therefore, Clarissa (she is actually quite demure and obedient) gets punished as she is part of the class, so to speak.

Today is her first day back at school after one week’s break. She packed her school bag yesterday; I dread helping her to pack her bag as almost every time, I would miss out some books, resulting in her getting disciplined. Therefore, I have decided not to get involved in this “packing business”, except to help her “load” her pile inside the school bag.

When I picked her up from school, my habitual question would be “How was your day?” Today, her reply was far from the usual “Ok lah”; rather, “Guess what mum, I packed my bag wrongly! Today is Tuesday but I had packed Monday books!” she said. My immediate response was “O dear, how many times were you punished today?” my heart was swelling with sad thoughts. “You know ah, I prayed to God very hard today, that the teacher would not notice that I have forgotten my books. First, it was the PE teacher but thankfully, she didn’t use the text book. Then I continue praying for my English class. Guess what, my English teacher didn't notice that I didn't have my books! Praise God yah!?" she related her day happily.

I could feel tears welling in my eyes as I learn that my little girl is growing in faith! She knows that the best person to turn to in crisis is not mummy or daddy but her Heavenly Father! I can't be there for her all the time but God can; I can't perform miracles but God can. Thank you Heavenly Father for reaching out to Clarissa, meeting her where she needs most and where I can't be.



2 comments:

  1. Dear Fee,

    Not harping, just telling...there it is again...you have the gift ( you know what I mean ah....) Tears welled in my eyes too. You know, knowing that our children have a relationship with God is such a wondrous thing. Adam plays brain football with Jesus every night while lying on his bed. That's what he calls it. He plays in his imagination, and Jesus plays with him too. That is why teaching children is such a joy, because their faith is so pure and real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi wise sue,
    I can't agree more..watching our children grow in the Lord. I love it that Adam plays brain football with Jesus! Totally "wicked!" (from the devil's perspective)

    love lots
    Fee

    ReplyDelete

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...