Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Slouching Old Lady

Envision a slouching old lady examining her wrinkled hand in a corner, hoping that no one would notice her. That was how I felt when I attended the ladies fellowship last Saturday, except that I wasn’t looking at my hand; I was tending to my stuffy nose. As my mind was preoccupied with analyzing my cold (whether its an allergy or cold or sinus!), someone I knew walked past and asked “Having a cold?” “No, its sinus!” I regretted as soon as the word was mentioned. Almost wanting to whisper in Cantonese “choy ! choy!” to myself, I realized how silly I must have behaved before God.

Prior to my sinus being healed, I used to have a dilemma every time I suffer a stuffy nose ie. “Am I having a cold or a sinus?” as this would determine the type of medication I take. Quite often I would end up taking both types! Now that God has healed me from my sinus, I am left with only the cold option right?

When the video session by Beth Moore started, I was completely taken away by what God did for the people of Israelites in the book of Joshua. It was as though God had anticipated that His people would doubt Him and fear for their enemies (like they always would), and therefore, He kept reassuring them and promised to go before them, to deliver their enemies into their hands. He began by speaking to their leader, Joshua:

“No one will be able to resist you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not abandon you or leave you alone. Be strong and be brave! Don’t be afraid and don’t panic, for I the Lord your God, am with you in all you do”

These are such wonderful promises indeed! It’s almost like God is telling me that it didn’t matter that I couldn’t figure out about my stuffy nose, He is with me. As the session proceeded, I found that His Words and Promises were bigger than my problem and it came to a point that I had forgotten about my stuffy nose and at the end of the session, my cold was gone! That day was an important lesson for me as prior to that day, I would stay at home to nurse my cold (which under normal circumstances, would develop into migraine that would take 2 days to go away); but if I were to choose to seek God despite my infirmities, He will bless me in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...