Friday, September 11, 2009

How is your view looking like?

Years ago, my brother commented to me that swimmers who could do 100 laps would pant after just 2 rounds of jogging; the same theory applies vice versa. Being a medical doctor, he explained that the muscles of a swimmer is built differently from that of a runner. I love the water and have been swimming since young. However, now that we are in Kampar, the great outdoor offers much more than just doing lengths in a swimming pool: the scenic hills, the beautiful flowers, and most importantly, Clarissa enjoys cycling and going on rolling blades!

When I first started jogging, I was breathless after just finishing the first round. Well, my eyes were busy looking out for uneven ground and basically focusing on the pavers, ensuring that I wouldn’t trip and make a fool of myself. After 2 rounds in the park, my lungs would be heavy, dying for oxygen and my legs would feel like lead; while there are others who would speed past me and continue on with their nth rounds.

Once, both Clarissa and Joseph were jogging with me. They were running like wild leopards in all directions and me, the mummy, was chasing from behind, struggling to catch up. After 2 rounds, I was surprised to find that I wasn’t as breathless as before. The next day, I decided to try something different, instead of focusing on the ground and my next step, I focus on the hill in front of me. Suddenly, I realized that the park looked really beautiful; There were shrubs of colourful hibiscus lining up on my left. At the next turn, I saw a plot of welcoming sunflowers with students snapping pictures next to it. The playground was full of activities; the children were having a smashing time under the watchful eyes of their parents. As my eyes were eagerly taking in the view, I saw rows after rows of cherry blossoms look alike shrubs greeting me as I “zoomed” passed them. There were some grandparents too, feeding the fishes at the nearby pond with their little grandgems! Before I knew it, I had completed my 2 rounds quite effortlessly! In fact, I could feel a certain lightness in my feet, as though I could go on and on and on.

I have cracked it! The key to jogging (longer than you think you can) is to focus on the prize in front of you! For me, I was chasing the sunflowers at one point and cherry blossoms the next! I could almost feel their applause as I sped past them.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witness, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.”

All of us have a race to run; and to run this race well, we need to focus on Jesus in order not to be entangled by daily worries and mundane work. Oh and don’t forget to enjoy the spectacular view that God our Father has orchestrated specially for us, to spur us on our journey!

1 comment:

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...