Thursday, September 17, 2009

Generation Blessing

As I saw my dad waving to his friend in a distant, he turned to me and said “Both his father and grandfather had worked with me before, we need to show kindness to this family and their children’s families continuously wherever we can”. Being a tin miner, it was not unusual that the whole family clan was working under one roof. Normally, the grandfather would have influenced his children so that when they came of age, they too would be involved in the business. This was how tin mining became a family tradition.

Now that tin mining has ceased, my dad still keeps in touch with people whom he used to work with and value the kindness he experienced. Little by little, he too is passing the family tradition to me, reminding me that one day if he were gone, I need to show the same kindness to his friends’ families. In a fast moving society, where attaining goals after goals are our main objective, my dad’s reminder comes like morning dew, refreshing the soul.

More importantly, I am reminded that there is One whose mercy extends from generation to generation as stated in the scriptures:-

“His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation”

I will do well to seek His favour for the sake of my children so that for generations to come, they too will experience His goodness. Now that I have “future” in mind, I would need to be more careful as to how I live my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joseph restoring joy to a friend

We were at a family retreat at Cameron Highlands. Children were having a fun time playing frisbees when one child, Ashton, threw the frisbee...